Faculty are invited to develop outstanding SSHRC Insight Grant applications with the help of several workshops co-hosted by the Office of the Dean, FAHSS, and the Office of Research and Innovation Services.
Each session will blend quiet grant writing time, sharing approaches to various sections of the application, and feedback on work in progress.Tentative schedule for 2020:
- Shaping Your Project for Success - February 28 (Katzman Lounge)
- Writing the Summary - March 27 (Katzman Lounge)
- The Budget - April 21 (Willistead Manor)
- Knowledge Mobilization & Outcomes - August 25 (Willistead Manor)
- Teams & Training - August 26 (Willistead Manor)
Open to researchers from all disciplines who plan to submit a SSHRC Insight Grant application in October 2020 or 2021. Researchers developing other SSHRC applications also welcome.
Friday, February 28, 2020
Shaping Your Project for Success (SSHRC IG Working Group)
What is your SSHRC Insight Grant idea? How is this idea similar or different to projects already funded by SSHRC? Who will the project benefit, and how will your project engage them? How can you introduce the project so that your idea "hooks" reviewers?
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM -- Our morning workshop will help you to address the above and related questions. By midday, you will have begun outlining your proposal.
- 12:00 - 4:30 PM (optional) -- Bring your own refreshments, or take a lunch break at a local restaurant. Stay for some or all of the afternoon to continue writing. Brent Lee (FAHSS) and Natasha Wiebe (ORIS) will be on hand to answer questions.
Friday, March 27, 2020
Writing the Summary (SSHRC IG Working Group)
The Insight Grant summary page provides an overview of your project and can also be used as the first page of the detailed description.
- 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM -- Our morning workshop will offer tips for writing an effective grant summary page, time to draft that page, and immediate feedback from experts and other participants.
- 12:30 - 4:30 PM (optional) -- Bring your own refreshments, or take a lunch break at a local restaurant. Stay for some or all of the afternoon to revise your summary or develop other pieces of the application. Brent Lee (FAHSS) and Natasha Wiebe (ORIS) will be on hand to answer questions.
Tuesday, April 21, 2020
The Budget (SSHRC IG Working Group)
Tuesday, August 25, 2020
Knowledge Mobilization & Outcomes (SSHRC IG Working Group)
Which groups of scholars and people in the community are most likely to benefit from your research project? What are the best ways to share findings with these groups (knowledge mobilization)? Once you share your findings, what difference could the research make (outcomes)?
This workshop will outline approaches to the Knowledge Mobilization and Expected Outcomes sections of the SSHRC Insight Grant application, as well as offer time for you to outline both documents.
Wednesday, August 26, 2020
Team & Training (SSHRC IG Working Group)
Who is on your SSHRC Insight Grant team? What are their roles and responsibilities? How will the team meaningfully engage student research assistance in the project, and prepare students for their responsibilities?