This is an intensive three day workshop. Each day involves a workshop in the morning, followed by a microteaching session in the afternoon, where each participant will be video-recorded teaching a lesson and will receive constructive written and verbal feedback from the other participants. Participants will also be given a video recording of their lesson each day for review at home. At the end of the course, participants will receive a certificate of completion.
The Instructional Skills Workshops take place
in small group settings and are designed to enhance the teaching
effectiveness of both new and experienced educators. The
facilitators are part of a group of higher education instructors
who have undergone training as facilitators in the ISW
In the ISW, participants will have opportunities to:
- work closely with other participants to improve each other's teaching;
- practice a variety of instructional strategies and techniques;
- increase awareness of participatory learning concepts;
- recognize the importance of establishing a positive learning environment; and
- increase knowledge of yourself as a teacher.
More specifically, participants will practice:
- using learning objectives to inform learners of expectations and intentions;
- writing useful, practical lesson plans;
- using questions and question sequences effectively during a lesson;
- using basic techniques to test for learning; and
- giving and receiving constructive feedback.
Please note: this is a three all-day event and you must be able to commit to all three days.