Personal response systems (clickers) enable instructors to gauge student understanding of concepts and information in a course in real time. For an instructor seeking to engage students responsively, no matter what the class size, clickers are an amazingly powerful tool. Possible uses include:
- uncovering typical misconceptions,
- testing student ability to apply a concept to specific situations,
- surveying student opinions,
- predicting outcomes,
- establishing baseline knowledge before embarking on a new topic,
- checking comprehension of class readings before continuing, and
- inspiring student discussion.
Each presentation will explore the use of TurningPoint, a software add-on to Microsoft PowerPoint that enables educators, trainers and presenters to develop and administer real-time assessments of participants within their PowerPoint presentations.